Ulli theeyal is a delicious curry made using Perl Onions which is a very tasty side dish for rice , which has an authentic kerala taste. Ieven likeit with chappatti, Roti, Dosa , Idli, etc.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- Perl onions (Peeled and Washed ) - 20- 25 Nos
- Oil - 4-5 table spoons(Preferably coconut oil or sunflower oil)
- green chilly - 2 nos
- Grated coconut or desiccated coconut - 1 cup
- Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenufrek powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind pulp - 2 teaspoons( or as per the taste)
- Salt - To taste
- Water - 200ml
- Curry leafs - 1 stem
Cut Perl onions into thin slices lengthwise. Heat oil in a pan add onion slices into it. Fry till golden brown. Don't allow it to burn. Meanwhile heat another pan and add grated coconut into it and stir continuously it till light brown color then add ingredients 5 to 8 into it. stir well for 1 minute, switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Grind the cooled mixture very well and add it into the fried onions along with tamarind pulp ,salt and water. Boil it for 5 minutes or till the curry comes to the required consistency. Add curry leaf and remove the curry from fire. Now the delicious Ulli theeyal is ready to serve.